Monday, December 9, 2013

A pattern for tires and my amigurumi process

So my boyfriend came up with a sketch for a new amigurumi project. The new project needed tires. I could not find any tires online that I liked the looks of. They were all either flat, or hockey puck shaped. That's totally fine if that's what you want, but I wanted them to be cooler and maybe more cartoonish, so I decided to just make my own. This is what I came up with and I figured I would share the super easy pattern, so that you too can have mega-super-awesome tires!

First, you make the tire tube. I did this by chaining 10 and then connecting to the beginning using a slipstitch. Then you single crochet (SC) around in each of the chain stitches. Do this for 30 more rows. Then slip stitch to finish it off and leave a tail for sewing.







Next, you are going to stuff your tire with fiberfill. Then thread your tail on a needle and sew the two ends together so they form a circle. 


Ta-da! Magic tire circle!











Next, you need to make the little hubcap. To do this, chain 2. Then, SC 5 stitches into the chain furthest from the hook.
For the next row, 2 SC in each SC around (10 stitches total at end of round).
Then *1 SC in next SC, 2 SC in next SC* repeat 4 times (15 stitches total at end of round).
Then *1 SC in next SC, 1 SC in next SC, 2 SC in next SC* repeat 4 times )20 stitches total at end of round. Slip stitch to finish, and leave tail for sewing.

Finally, sew the hubcap pieces to the front of one of your tire wheels. Then you will have tires like the ones pictures to the left.
So the reason I needed these tires was because my boyfriend drew this on the amigurumi idea board. 

And, here's the finished project. 

I think it came out quite cute! I hope you all enjoy the pattern, any questions feel free to e-mail me or leave your questions in the comments. Thanks!

1 comment: